Do you find it hard to come up with great small talk topics?
Don't always talk about the weather. It can be boring!
Why don't you talk about recent movies or TV shows that you have seen?
This can be a great way to start conversation in English and to develop rapport with someone.
In today's lesson, I will give you some tools to talk about TV shows and movies with someone in English.
#1) How to ask about what is currently showing in theaters:
- "Hey do you know what's in the theaters now?"
- "Are there any great new films out these days?"
- "What's showing in the movie theater this weekend?"
- "What are the new releases this weekend?"
#2) How to find out what's on TV:
- "Do you know what's on TV tonight?"
- "What do you like to watch on TV?"
- "Are there any good shows on tonight?"
#3) How to invite someone to a movie or TV show:
- "Would you like to see a movie with me this weekend?"
- "I am going to see that new action flick that everyone is talking about. Do you want to join me?"
- "Any interest in watching some TV with me after work?"
#4) How to comment on a movie or TV show:
- "The movie wasn't as good as I expected. I am kind of disappointed."
- "That movie kept me on the edge of my seat. Did you like it?"
- "I love the TV show Friends. It always keeps me coming back for the next episode."
- "That movie was a tearjerker. It made me really sad. What did you thihk?"
Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bossco/, https://www.flickr.com/photos/esthervargasc/