How can you learn the most for your time and money in your private English class?
That's a question that a lot of students ask. If you are a student of English in New York or Boston, you are probably also working full time or going to school so your life is busy.
If you are going to take a private English class, you need to be sure that your tutor will help you reach your goals to be more successful in your life in the United States.
Here's the key- getting the most from your class depends on your work both in class and outside of class. When I begin working with a new English student, I always ask if he or she will have enough time to practice what we learn in class.
That is a key element for making the class worth it, you need to practice what you learn! In this post, I will give you 7 ideas for how to do this in class and outside of class. Keep reading!
Do you think your friends would like to read this article?
Please "like" it on Facebook. Thanks!
Maximize Your Learning In Class:
1) Choose the Right English tutor: It is important to find a tutor that you enjoy working with. You need to be able to connect with your tutor and look forward to your English lessons. Your tutor also needs to be professional and experienced. Ask for a resume and references from former students. Choosing a Business English Tutor: How and Why
2) Identify Your Learning Style: Are you a visual learner or a verbal learner? Do you prefer to do role plays and real conversations or would you rather write down your answers before responding to a question. Do you remember vocabulary by looking at a picture or saying the word? All of these are important questions and if you want to see real improvement, your tutor should plan your lesson based on your learning style. Private English Classes and Your Learning Style: A Customized Plan
3) Set Your Goals: Ask yourself these questions: Why am I learning English? What is my plan for achieving my goals? How will I measure my goals? Choose realistic, measurable goals for your private English class. Your tutor can help you decide on the right goal and create a plan to reach that goal. Individual English Lessons and Your Goals
4) Forget About Perfectionism: Perfectionism can be a dangerous obstacle for many English students. Success comes through making mistakes. Don't let perfectionism prevent you from improving. If you are a perfectionist, try to shift your focus, puts things into perspective and have compassion for yourself. Learning English? The Problem with Perfectionism
Maximize Your Learning Outside of Class:
1) Create an English Learning Network: Your improvement in English depends partly on the people around you. Create a network of people in your life who will help you learn including colleagues, a language exchange partner and even your neighbors. How to Create Your English Learning Network
2) Practice Your Listening Anywhere: Learning English doesn't end when you leave your private English class. You can practice your listening on the subway, in a cafe or in the park. The key is consistency. Do it every day and you will quickly see improvement. Practice English Anywhere Through Daily Listening
3) Take Risks to Learn English: You won't learn English being cautious. Get out and attend some parties and events in English. Apply for an internship or volunteer in English. Put yourself in situations where you have no choice but to speak English. It feels scary but you will be glad you did. How to Improve your English: Be A Risk Taker
Connect with Us!Follow @EngandCulture