Today's blog topic is NYC English! What do you know about the New York City subway? If you are thinking about coming to NYC to learn English, this post is a great way for you to get an idea of what it's like to ride the subway in New York. If you are already in New York and you ride the subway every day, you can learn new vocabulary expressions and idioms that New Yorkers use every day! Do you know what it means to be "in the red" or to "get the hang of it" ? If not, listen to the conversation about the subway in New York. Don't forget to take the quiz at the end to test your listening comprehension!
Note- I recorded this conversation with another native English speaking New Yorker, Kristy, in 2009. Some of the facts such as the price of a monthly subway card have changed!
In this conversation, you will learn these idioms and expressions:
- To get the hang of it
- To be in the red
- To cut back on
- To make small talk
You will also learn the answers to these questions:
- Is the New York subway safe?
- Which subway pass is the best value?
- Which parts of New York can you reach on the subway?
Listen to the conversation:
Did you understand?
- Check your listening...take the quiz
- View the listening script
Learn more about NYC English and life in New York!
- 5 reasons why you should work with an English tutor in New York
- Join our Facebook community of English learners!
photo credit- Shuggy