What are you planning to do for New Year's Eve this year?
In the US, it's common to go to a house party and celebrate with friends and acquaintances.
If you have been invited to a party, you need to know how to chat and make small talk, right?
In today's lesson, I will give you 4 ways to do that. Check it out!
How to Make English Small Talk at a New Year's Eve Party
#1) Ask about the year that is ending
- "So how was 2013 for you?"
- "Can you believe the year is over? How did everything go for you?"
- "So what kind of year was 2013 for you?"
- "How was your year?"
- "Was it a good year for you, overall?"
#2) Find out if they are enjoying the party
- "So are you having a good time tonight?"
- "Are you enjoying your evening?"
- "How's the evening going for you?"
- "Having fun?" (*note- here we have dropped "Are you." That is fine in casual conversation at a party)
#3) Ask why they are there
- "So how do you know (host's name)?"
- "What brought you to this party?"
- "Did you come with friends tonight?"
- "Who do you know here?"
#4) Ask about their new year
- "Are you setting any New Year's resolutions this year?"
- "What are you looking forward to in the new year?"
- "How is 2014 looking for you?"
- "Do you think that 2014 will be a good year?"
- "What kind of year will 2014 be for you?"
Now that you have a bunch of new phrases and questions that you can use to start small talk in English during a new year's party, you are ready to go out there and practice and meet new people! Happy New Year and have a blast!